Monday, April 25, 2011

Rome

From April 9th to April 25th was my spring break. Of course days off meant traveling. My first destination: Rome. For as long as I can remember, I have always dreamed of traveling to Rome. I wanted the chance to throw my coin into the Trevi Fountain, see the Colosseum and St. Peter's Basilica, and enjoy the Italian cuisine. Due to my Classical and Renaissance Rome course, I had the opportunity to travel to Rome from April 11th to April 16th. 

April 11th
In front of the Trevi Fountain
With my backpack filled to the max with everything necessary for 2 weeks, my adventure began early in the morning. Around 1pm, our class landed in Rome. On our bus ride to the hotel, one of the first major sights we saw was the Colosseum. As we passed it, I was in aw. I couldn't believe I was in Rome finally living one of my biggest travel dreams. Eventually we made it to the hotel to drop off our bags and begin our tour of the city. Since we were staying a 10 minute walk from the Trevi Fountain our first stop for the day was the fountain. As we walked up to the fountain I was in aw again! I couldn't have been any happier. I was in Rome with warm and sunny weather and seeing some of the most well-known sights in the world. Our next stops for the day were the Column of Marcus Aurelius and the Pantheon.
Pantheon


Being at the Pantheon was surreal. To be at a building that has been around since 126 AD was awesome. We had a few minutes to look around inside. The interior was stunning, which was intensified by the lighting coming from the central opening of the dome. Inside were monuments to kings, alters, and Raphael's tomb. Next, we went to Bernini's elephant on Piazza Minvera.Then we headed over Largo di Torre Argentina. This used to be the location of 4 Roman republic temples. It is also known as a cat sanctuary. After, we had time for lunch. During lunch, my gelato intake began. I know it may sound a little ridiculous, but I pretty much had gelato twice a day for the whole duration of the trip. Well worth it though. Once lunch was over our tour continued. Other sights for the day included the Tiber River, the Tiber Island and Temple of Aesculapius, Campo de Fiori, the oldest bridge built since the Roman Empire, and Piazza Navona and the Fountain of the Four Rivers. The last spot our professor showed us was Della Palma: the store with 100 gelato flavors! 
Only a small section of the 100 flavors

After our professor showed us the shop, we were free to do what we wanted. Now being right next to one of the largest gelato shops in Rome, the most logical thing to do is stop in. My friends and decided to make a mental note of the place so we could come back multiple times. The rest of the day involved walking around with friends, making a stop at the Spanish Steps, a group dinner, spending time at the Colosseum, and getting gelato. First, day in Rome was a success.

April 12th 
Main destination for the day: The Vatican! Once we arrived at the Vatican Museum we received a 4 hour tour. During our tour we saw a lot of different items, such as the painted marble copy of Augustus Prima Porta, the Vatican Gardens, Pine Cone Courtyard where the pine cone from the old St. Peter's fountain is located, the Statue of Triumphant Perseus, the Laokoon Group, Belvedere Torso, rooms painted by Rafael, and Rafael's The Academy in Athens. After our 4 hour walk through the museum we made it to the best part of the tour: The Sistine Chapel. 
A portion of the Sistine Chapel
As I walked into the Sistine Chapel I was greeted by a funny sight. The first thing I see is security off to the side, a ton of people holding up cameras, and a sign that says "No Photos." Clearly the rule was not enforced well. The Sistine Chapel was stunning. Sometimes there are things you hear about how grand they are, but when you see them you can be a little let down. The Sistine Chapel was not one of those moments. Every where I looked there was something to see. The paintings were amazing!! Well worth the 4 hour tour through the museum. After our tour ended, we had time on our own to walk through the museum so a friend and I looked at Roman antiques, which included armor, chariots, jewelry, and amphoras. 


View from the top of St. Peter's cupola

Our next stop for the day was St. Peter's. The square was amazing!! Once we arrived in the square, we were on our own. A group of us decided to climb up 551 steps to reach to top of the cupola. The climb was well worth the view! From the top, we could see most of Rome! After spending some time enjoying the view, we went to look at the interior of St. Peter's. Like the rest of St. Peter's the interior was stunning!!


View from St. Peter's Cupola
Bernini's bronze baldachin in St. Peter's

Italian Dinner
After spending some time in St. Peter's a group of us walked around the area, got gelato and then went to rest for the night. That evening my friends and I went out for a delicious Italian dinner, gelato and a walk through the sights.















April 13th
The day was filled with looking at ancient Roman architecture. The first stop was the Colosseum. Standing inside something built during 69-70 AD was unbelievable. We had some time to look around the Colosseum, which was awesome. After the Colosseum, we headed over to the Forum Romanum. During our time at the Forum, we had to sketch the ruins. For the most part, none of us can sketch. At one point, my friend and I couldn't stop laughing because of our sketches. The amount of stares we got from people only added to our laughter. During our time at the Forum, we saw the Temple of Vesta, The Arch of Severus, The Curia, Temple of Castor and Pollux, House of the Vestal Virgins, Temple of Divus Romulus, along with many others. The end of our tour was atop of Palatine Hill, which provided another great view of the Forum! Other sights of the day included the Imperial Forias (Imperial Caesar, Imperial Augustus, and Imperial Trajan), the Trajan Market, the Presidential Palace, Sant' Andrea al Quirindle Church, San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane, and Fontana del Tritone in Piazza Barberini. Once we ended our tour at the square, we had the rest of the evening on our own. A group of us went to Capuchin Crypt beneath the Capuchin Church of the Immaculate Conception. The crypt has 6 rooms that are filled with the bones of 4,000 individual monks. Later that evening I went out to eat with friends to the restuarant Fraschetteria Beltramme, which supposedly has the best carbonara in town. The rest of the evening was gelato and relaxing.

April 14th
Cemetery at Camp Cestio
Another wonderful day in Rome. Campo Cestio was the first stop of the day. At Campo Cestio we saw the Pyramid of Sestius, the Aurelian Walls, John Keats grave, and Percy Shelley's grave. Our professor also gave us time to look around the cemetery, which was very pretty. Termes of Caracalla, ancient public baths, was our next stop. The baths were huge! Some of the areas still has mosaics.



Termes of Caracalla
Mouth of Truth
The rest of our daily tour included Santa Maria Basilica where the Mouth of Truth is, Forum Boarium, Temple of Hercules, Theater of Marcellus, and Piazza del Campidoglio on top of Capitoline Hil. We also had a tour of Capitoline Museum where we saw one of the few original Roman bronze statues, the statue of Remus and Romulus, marble script of Council names, the real Marcus Aurelius statue, and Capitoline Venus. Also during our tour, we got an amazing view of the Forum Romanum.
Forum Romanum
After the tour through the museum we had the rest of the day to ourselves. My friends and I went shopping in the shopping district, where I bought authentic Italian leather made by the family who runs the store. We also looked around the market at Campo de Fiori, Basilica SS Ambrogio Carlo, Chiesa Di Gesu e Maria Al Corso, Piazza del Popolo, and Villa Borghese gardens.  
Piazza del Popolo






After both of my friends went back to the hotel, I walked around a little by myself. I went into Basilica Parrocchiale Sant Maria del Popola, which has the famous Cerasi Chapel, a few other churches, and walked around the area near our hotel. The rest of the evening was dinner and going out with a group.












April 15th
For most of the morning, our class spent the day at Ostia. Ostia was the harbor city of ancient Rome. During our time in Ostia, we had to sketch more buildings. Our professor also showed us around. The things he showed us included old mills used to ground grain, Roman highrises, bars (where hot food was made), the Ostia Forum, an old fish market, a rich man's house, the Temple of Cupid and Pyske, public toilets, the Theater, and the Square of Corporations. 
After our time in Ostia was over, we had a few hours to ourselves before dinner. My friends and I decided to go to Villa Borghese. Once we were at the park, we decided to rent a bike cart. The hour on the bike cart was so much fun. Each of us took a turn driving. After our hour was up we decided to go to the terrace and get a beatuiful of Piazza del Popola. When I went to ask a woman and her husband to take a picture of us, the woman asked where I was from. I told her Indiana. She then asked what part. I told her Northwest. Needless to say she kept asking more since she has heard of Northwest Indiana. Then her and her husband said they have heard of my town and drive through it. I was stunned. I came all the way to Rome and I find someone who has heard of my town...weird. After our time in the park we went back for group dinner. The rest of the evening was going to the Trevi Fountain to throw my coin in the fountain and going out for drinks with the whole class.

April 16th
Sadly, the last day in Rome. The first major sight we saw for the day was Ara Pacis, Augustus' alter to Peace. After, we ventured over to Castello Sant'Angelo (Castel Sant'Angleo), which is the Pope's safe sanctuary. We took a tour of the inside, but the view from the top was the best part. 
View from Castel Sant'Angelo
View from Castel Sant'Angelo
View from Castel Sant'Angelo
After spending sometime enjoying the view, my friend and I walked over to St. Peter's. We spent some time enjoying the square. 


Once we were done, we met up with the rest of our friends to walk around until we had to be back. We went to the old Jewish Quarter and a few churches. At 4pm, we were back at the hotel to begin our departure. 

My time in Rome was nothing but absolutely amazing!! The weather was sunny and warm. The food and wine were delicious. The sights were magnificent. My time in Rome had to be one of the best trips I have gone on it. Now that I have thrown my coin in the Trevi Fountain, I am looking forward to the next time I go to Rome. For now, ciao bella.

More pictures of my trip can be found in these albums... part 1, part 2, and part 3



2 comments:

  1. 4 hours in the vatican museum? sounds awful. i walked straight through to the sistine chapel haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it wasn't fun. I could have spent a little time in there but 4 hours was a bit much. Our professor even said the tour was too long and that our tour guide went over board. lol
    haha nice just go straight to the Sistine Chapel...the best part.

    ReplyDelete