Friday, April 8, 2011

Vistor in Copenhagen

April 1st - April 4th, my friend Liz came to visit me in Copenhagen! The last time I saw Liz was during our adventure in Berlin. Getting to see her again was exciting, but getting to show her around the city I fallen in love with and consider a home was going to be even better. When Liz arrived on Friday afternoon, I treated her to a pastry from one of the best bakeries in town, Lagkagehuset Bakery, since desserts seem to be lacking in Budapest. What a shame. Later in the evening our school was throwing a mid-semester party so my friends and I decided to take Liz. As we stepped out the door, our sneaky tactics began. Since we live a little a bit out of the city, DIS provided us with transportation passes. Unfortunately for Liz, she would have to pay the hefty 24 kroner per bus ride (about $5). Luckily, my friends and I know a few tricks. When we got on the bus, my friend and I went on at the same time. My friend fumbled getting out her pass while I walked right by with mine. As I walked, I handed off my pass to Liz without the bus driver knowing. Worked like charm every time. When we arrived to the DIS party, more trickery took place. For the party you needed a school ID to get in, which Liz didn't have. My friends and I told her to just say she lost her ID. Of course, the lie worked. The guy checking her in asked her how she gets into the building and suggested she get a new one. For part of the night, my friends and I joked with Liz saying she really should get a new ID. Our first stop at the event was the free gourmet cupcakes from Anges Cupcakes. These cupcakes were AMAZING!! After our difficult cupcake choice was over, we went to go find a seat to talk. As we were sitting around, my friend Ari and Catherine decided it would be a good idea to go karaoke. At first Liz and I weren't too sure about singing karaoke, but we eventually were fine with it. Around 10pm, our turn was up. We walked confidently onto the stage ready to sing Britney Spear's "Baby One More Time." As we were up there, the crowd was singing with us. After, I couldn't believe I just finished doing karaoke because I never thought I would karaoke! Big step for me! The rest of the night was going out.

Singing "Baby One More Time"
Saturday, April 2nd
Today was a full day of showing Liz around. Our first stop for the day was Rosenborg Castle. During our tour through the castle, we saw several of King Christian IV's favorite rooms, such as the Long Hall. The best part of our tour was the Treasury! From the Crown jewel collection we saw Christian III's sword, King Christian IV's crown, brooches and many other items.


King Christian IV's Crown




 
After, we walked around King's Garden and enjoyed the booming flowers. Our next stop of the day was the Trinity Church and the Round Tower. Due to the wonderful weather, the view was amazing. As we were by the Round Tower, we noticed a homemade jewelry market. Of course, Liz and I had to stop and look. Liz and I walked away with a pair of semi-precious green Chalcedony stones. Of course, a trip to Denmark wouldn't be complete without a traditional Danish. On the way to Kongens Nytorv, we picked up a Danish and sat at Højbro Plads/Amager Market and High Bridge Square. As I sat there enjoying the street musicians, eating my Danish, and soaking up the sun, my love for Copenhagen grew.



Next, we went to Kongens Nytorv and Nyhavn. The trip to Nyhavn was the first time I have walked along the harbor during Spring weather. Seeing the colors of the houses in the sun, the outside cafe seating, and the many people sitting on on the edge of the pier was a whole new experience. Nyhavn truly is one of my favorite spots in Copenhagen. During our walk along the harbor, we made a spontaneous decision to go on a canal tour. The sights we saw on the tour included the Opera House, Little Mermaid Statue, Christiansborg Palace, Christiania, and Amalienborg. The last stop of the day was the infamous Little Mermaid Statue. The rest of the evening was hanging out and showing her the Copenhagen night life.

Hoosiers on Nyhavn
Little Mermaid!
 Sunday, April 3rd
The day started off with me attending a Danish mass with Liz. Once mass was over we were greeted with rain, but we didn't let this ruin our day. Since we were near Frederick's Church (The Marble Church), we ventured inside. The interior was stunning. Christiania, was our next site.

Christiania is a self-proclaimed neighborhood in Christianshavn. The town is regulated by its own special laws. The area is filled with graffiti. As we neared the street, pusher street, we were greeted my multiple signs that said no photos. In order to protect the pot sellers located on the street, photos aren't allowed. 
  






Our next destination was Vor Frelsers Kirke (Church of Our Saviour). After looking inside, we headed towards The Black Diamond, Christiansborg Palace, the Royal Garden and the Riding grounds. The rest of our downtown time consisted of getting bagel sandwiches (bagels in Budapest are nonexistent), eating gelato, and walking along Strøget. We embraced our inner child by playing in the Lego Store. During our walk, we noticed a candy store with a section called "Taste of America." On this wall one would find Doritos, Reese's, fluff (even strawberry fluff) and bubble yum. Like anything American in Copenhagen, the items in the "Taste of America" will cost you. Two Reese's were about $4.

Banana chocolate, brownie and kiss and tell chocolate gelato



On Monday, Liz left to go back to Budapest. Saying goodbye to Liz was sad. I really enjoyed having someone from home come to visit me and showing her around the city. I'm glad she came to visit!

1 comment: