Saturday, February 12, 2011

Excursion Around the City...Part 2

In order to complete my Copenhagen History homework, I spent another two days exploring my new home. With my camera and autoguide in hand I ventured off to more of Copenhagen’s well known sites. 


 
One of my visits was to Trinitatis Kirke/Trinity Church and Rundetårn/ Round tower. 

The Round Tower is an unique building in European architecture. There is a 660 foot winding arched access ramp that takes you up to the very top. During my adventure to Rundetårn, I went to the top to observe the city. Of course, I went on an extremely windy day, but the view was amazing. I loved being able to see the whole city. I plan on trying to go back up when Spring comes.





















Another stop on my adventure was Gråbrødre Torv/Greyfiar's Square. This square is considered one of Copenhagen's most beautiful squares. Many restaurants and bars surround the area. Once the weather gets nicer, I plan to revisit the square. 







Helligåndskirken/Church of the Holy Spirit was another site I was assigned to visit. The church once housed the first hospital in Copenhagen, which was founded in 1295. In 1474 King Christian I expanded the hospital into a four-winged monastery.










The picture to the left is of Amagertor and Højbro Plads/Amager Market and High Bridge Square. During the medieval ages, Amagertor was the site for the market where people would sell vegetables. Højbro Plads is a relatively new square. After the great fire of 1795, the site was left open as a fire protection strip. 



 
This site is known as Kongens Nytorv/King's Square. The statute in the square is of King Christian V, which was the first equestrian statute in Copenhagen. Around the square are several prominent buildings, such as Charlottenborg (one of the very first castles in Copenhagen), Thott Mansion, Harsdoff House, and the Royal Theater. 
As my friend and I were walking around this area, architects were uncovering parts of the medieval wall that once was the fortress protecting the city. 


Another stop on my assignment was Christiansborg Slotplads/Christiansborg Palace Square. This location is known as the very beginning of Copenhagen. Christiansborg Palace has burnt down twice. The current palace was built in 1928. 
Also during the assignment I had to look at the buildings surround the area, such as Bourse and the Naval Church.

 
Another stop assciated with Christianborg Palace was the Library Garden. The garden was very nice and I can't wait to go back in Spring.



Combined with Christiansbog Palace is Ridebanen/Riding Grounds. In the past, the wings were used as stables. Today, only a few of the wings are used as stables.





One of my favorite stops for the assignment was to Rosenborg Slot/Castle and Kongens Have/Royal Garden. The Royal Garden here is the oldest Royal Garden in Denmark. Rosenborg became Christian IV's favorite home. 
I wasn't able to go in the castle at the time, but visiting at later date is a must. The castle houses the Danish royal jewels, artifacts from various reigns and a magnificent hall.


One of the most well known, if not the most, sites is Nyhavn/New Harbor. Nyhavn was built in 1669. Since the harbor has never suffered a fire, Nyhavn preserves many of the houses from the 17th and 18th centuries. At one point in time, Hans Christian Anderson lived at Nyhavn 67. Once the weather is nicer, I place on making many stops to Nyhavn to sit at the edge of the harbor and admire the nice weather.


No comments:

Post a Comment