Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Meeting the Visiting Family


As a way to help students immerse themselves in the Danish culture, students can live with a host family, have a Danish buddy or have a visiting family. I chose the visiting family option, and I’m thrilled I did. Last night I met my visiting family for the first time. The mom’s name is Inger, the dad is Niels, the daughter is Sarah, and the two sons are Lukas and Elias. I went over to their house for dinner that evening, which included salmon, brown rice, salad and garlic bread. Before dinner, the mom gave me a tour of the house. It was so cute and a typical Danish house with the white walls and the use of paintings to create the cozy feeling. After dinner we had hot chocolate, cookies, chocolate and licorice. During our dessert Sarah was working on her English homework. So Inger, Niels and I tried to help her since she wasn’t sure what to write out. She wasn’t sure what the term paragraphs meant so I told her. Something small like this may not seem like anything important, but I was really happy that I could help and found it interesting. Around 10pm, Niels drove me back to my place since it’s only at 10 minute drive from their house to mine.

Before meeting them I was so excited. At the same time I was nervous because what if we didn’t have enough to talk about or we didn’t get along. I had definitely had nothing to worry about. The whole time I was at their house we never ran out of things to talk about and the family was so nice and sweet!! When I took my shoes off, Inger gave me a pair of her slippers because she didn’t want my feet to get cold, they were telling me all the places they want to take me around the city, and they said if I was interested they would like to try to take me to Sweden for a day so I can go skiing with them!! (AHHH :D)  As we were saying our goodbyes, Inger and Sarah gave me a hug (the boys were in bed and Niels was heating up the car)!!!! I had a wonderful time at their house!! I can’t wait to see them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment