Sunday, March 27, 2011

F.C. København vs Brøndby

Back in the States, our sports world revolves around several sports, such as football, baseball and basketball. The thought of having soccer as a main sport to watch hasn't really crossed the mind of many people. Here in Europe, football (soccer) is THE SPORT!


Fortunately, I was lucky enough to get a free ticket to the F.C. F.C. København vs Brøndby game on Sunday, March 20th. If you are enrolled in a Danish class at our school, you got a free ticket from your Danish class. I'm not in Danish, but my friend gave me her extra ticket. That night a group from my floor and I went to the game. At 6pm, the match started. Football matches here are 90 minutes long and have half time at 45 minutes. During the first half, Copenhagen wasn't doing too well. When Copenhagen had the ball, Brøndby would take possession right away. At the end of the half, Copenhagen was down 0-1. Although, the second half got interesting. Within the first few minutes, Copenhagen found their momentum and tied up the game. Not much longer, Copenhagen scored again. The crowd is now going crazy with streamers and cheers! Since F.C.K. was winning, my friend and I decided to leave a few minutes early so we could go buy an F.C.K. scarf. By us leaving early we missed the final goal of the game...luckily made by Copenhagen making the final score 3-1.




During the game, I noticed one thing. The fans here cheer like crazy!! The entire game, the F.C.K. fans were cheering. The fans even had the cheers coordinated. One side of the bleachers would say one thing and the other side would respond. On top of that, the fans had several cheers! My friends and I joked how the Danish football fans put the American sport fans to shame. 
Although all the cheers were in Danish so none of us could join in. This would be another point I knew how to speak Danish.



The night was a lot of fun!! I am so happy I can say I have been to a European football game!


Random Fact: My visiting family told me that the Brøndby fans have to get their fingers scanned before coming into games because of the trouble they cause. Since the system was new, the Brøndby fans boycotted the game we went to.

2 comments:

  1. "football matches here are 90 minutes long and have half time at 45 minutes. "

    haha silly girl that's the same as in the US.

    ReplyDelete