Friday, May 20, 2011

Goodbye

Closing Ceremony
As the week continued, my days in Copenhagen were narrowing down. May 17th, was the day to start the goodbyes. That day our school, DIS, gave us a closing ceremony, which was at one of the theaters near our school. Before the ceremony started, they showed pictures they purchased from students throughout the year (I made about $80 for the semester by doing this). As the slide show went through the pictures, I saw 6 of the pictures I had taken on the screen, which was cool and weird at the same time. Once the ceremony started, the realization that I was leaving the next day really hit me. As I sat there listening to the DIS String Orchestra and the CBS International choir play sad songs about good times coming to an end, I began to reflect on my semester. I thought about all the great times I had with my new friends, the many different sights I had seen, and many other wonderful times. All I could really think about was, where had 4 months gone? I couldn't believe how fast time had flown! After 2 hours, the ceremony had ended, which meant we were now alumni at DIS. Afterwards, my friends and I went over the the champagne party to get our free drink and snacks. Our next stop was home so we could finish packing and get ready for the night. That night most of went into the common room to celebrate one last time. During our celebration, we spent most of the night taking pictures and talking about all the good times. The whole night our whole group was sad that we would be leaving each other.

Some of the group
We had grown into one big family, the Tåsingegade (T-Gade) family. Later in the night, we went to the after party being held by DIS. The party was a lot of fun. 

The next morning was one of the saddest mornings I have had in my life. It was the day to say goodbye to Copenhagen. I finished up packing and said goodbye to friends. I knew I had to leave and I was sad about it, but the tears didn't hit me until I had to say goodbye to my friend Ari. As Ari and I were saying goodbye, we both started to cry. I couldn't believe my time was coming to an end when I felt like it just started. Once she left I was in even sadder mood. At noon, my time had come. With my 100 pounds of luggage and one duck taped suitcase, it was my turn to leave. I took one last look around my new home and prepared for my goodbyes. Saying goodbye to my friends and SRAs was hard. Of course, I started to cry again. Leaving Copenhagen was a bittersweet moment. With my bags packed in the taxi, I took one last look at my home and left. During the car ride I took in the beauty of Copenhagen one last time...sadly with tears filling my eyes.

While I was excited to go home and see everyone, I was sad to be leaving Copenhagen. This city had become my new home. Leaving the T-gade group was also sad. All of the good and crazy times we had together will always be in my heart. When people ask why did you choose Copenhagen, all I can say is why wouldn't you choose Copenhagen!? This city had given me the best semester I have had in college and many memories I will never forget. Copenhagen will always have a special place in my heart and I will forever consider it a home. 

2 comments:

  1. "When people ask why did you choose Copenhagen, all I can say is why wouldn't you choose Copenhagen!? "

    ahhhhh love it!!!! :D i got sad for you just reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww glad you liked it! It was sad leaving Copenhagen!

    ReplyDelete